Centre for Rural and Remote Mental Health
The Centre for Rural and Remote Mental Health (CRRMH) is a state-wide organisation committed to improving the mental health, wellbeing and resilience of rural and remote residents.
A major rural initiative of The University of Newcastle, Faculty of Health and Medicine and the NSW Ministry of Health, the Centre has a track record of conducting high-quality research and delivering evidence-based programs and services that improve mental health and wellbeing.
CRRMH staff are located across rural and remote NSW.
The CRRMH Patron is His Excellency General the Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Ret’d) Governor of NSW.The Centre focuses on the following key areas:
- the promotion of good mental health and the prevention of mental illness
- developing the mental health system to better meet the needs of people living in rural and remote regions
- understanding and responding to rural suicide.
As the Australian Collaborating Centre for the International Foundation for Integrated Care, CRRMH promotes patient-centred, rather than provider-focused, care that integrates mental and physical health concerns.
They work closely with local, national and international organisations, including community, industry, academic, NGOs and government to deliver the best outcomes. They also work in partnership with Aboriginal communities to reduce Aboriginal suicide and suicide related behaviour.
As part of the University of Newcastle, all CRRMH activities are underpinned by research evidence and evaluated to ensure appropriateness and effectiveness.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Lived experience
- People with an increased risk of suicide
- People who have attempted suicide
- People bereaved by suicide
- People experiencing mental illness
- Rural and remote communities
- Young people
- Conducts Research
- Provides Factsheets
- University or tertiary education
- Australian Collaborating Centre for the International Foundation of Integrated Care
- Suicide Prevention Australia
- Equally Well